Friday, August 7, 2015

Give Yourself an Edge with Spanish Language Courses



I graduated from college six months ago and am still having a lot of trouble finding a job in my field. I've accepted a part-time position in retail just to be able to make my student loan payments, but that's obviously not going to be a long-term situation for me. I need to start earning serious money soon. In order to do so, I have to come up with a way to separate myself from the rest of the candidates applying for the same jobs. I think taking Spanish language courses could give me the edge I'm looking for.

My degree is in Human Resources Management, and a lot of the jobs I'm interested in have mentioned that being bilingual is a plus. This is because many companies feature a diverse workforce made up of people who might not speak English. So if I can take some Spanish language courses and add that skill to my resume, I'll make myself a much more attractive prospect to employers.

Fortunately, I can choose from several different options. First, I can sign up for Spanish language courses online. This is a subject that every community college or four-year-university offers, so I'm sure I won't have any trouble finding something that is both convenient and affordable. After a couple semesters of these online Spanish language courses, I'll be able to start submitting my resume again.

Another way to acquire this skill is by using software. There are a number of Spanish language courses available as CDs or computer programs, and they could be worth checking out. Each program takes a unique approach to teaching, so it would be smart to read some software reviews first to get a better idea of which one is right for me. The best thing about studying via CDs is that I can move at my own pace and don't have to follow a class schedule. If I applied myself, I could probably learn twice as fast on my own as I would in a formal classroom. Then again, I wouldn't have a teacher to answer my questions, so this might not be a good idea for a beginner.

A third option is to take Spanish language courses in Spain. This would be ideal, as I would not only get formal instruction, but also would be totally immersed in the culture. I would get loads of practice even outside the classroom, and would be able to spend significant time in Barcelona, Seville, Madrid, Valencia, or other top locations in Spain. This is a pricier route for sure, but the experience can't be beat!

Even though I haven't yet decided which Spanish language courses I will take, I'm going to make up my mind soon and begin studying in a couple of months. I wish I had understood the importance of foreign languages back when I was in college so I could have taken the appropriate classes then, but I guess it's better late than never!


No comments:

Post a Comment